24 August, 2008

Adopted (or rescued?)

Got these three new girls from a nearby poultry farm. they are 12 months old. They were in sheds with a large flock of other chooks and there is obviously quite a bit of hen pecking going on because most of them only had half their feathers.

While the conditions weren't as "bad" as caged chooks, its certainly not ideal when you see the condition that these girls are in.

They are still settling in with my girls and are quite wary of me but at least two laid eggs today. They have no idea about eating anything other than pellets! They looked at the vegie scraps and the delicious protein mash I made them like it was something foreign, while my girls couldnt eat it fast enough!!

Hopefully in a couple of months we can restore their condition and turn them into healthy looking birds.



My girls in comparison.

4 comments:

Susan Roberts 24 August, 2008 20:50  

Aww, the poor things! I am sure under your care they will be all better soon

me 26 August, 2008 05:56  

aww, the poor dears...how nice that you are able to rescue them like that. no doubt they will be fat and feathered soon enough....
do they have names now??

Robin 26 August, 2008 07:51  

Oh how sad looking. Hope they get all fluffed and full soon.

Anonymous 27 September, 2008 03:26  

What a wonderful thing to rescue these birds. I'm sure they will thrive in your care. My rescue dachshund gives his approval! :) Of course it doesn't hurt that i LOVE chickens and had one as a kid. Great pix.

Labels

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP